Tuesday, June 14, 2011

To everything, there is a season.

Watching my son graduate from college last week differed so much from my experience of his other graduations. Up to now, every step he took toward independence brought tears to my eyes.  Each was a loss - of my baby, of my elementary school kid, of my middle schooler, of my high school honor student.  Leaving the parking garage after helping him drag his valuables up to his dorm room was as painful as his birth 18 years before. 

This graduation squeezed no water from my eyes.  My son is his own person now.  He's still my son, but he's certainly no longer an extension of myself.  The college experience did its work.  Being away from home gave Kevin what he needed to find himself.  I know I'm biased, but he is a truly amazing young man. This was more than a college celebration, it was a commencement of a new life ready to be lived to the fullest.  This 'birth' was all Kevin's.  His work, his tribulations, his triumph.  I watched with pride.

I loved every season of motherhood, even though I was glad when many were over.  And, to be fair, I couldn't have been a mom all by myself.  Dad, grandparents, aunts, uncles, teachers, and church friends made up the village in which Kevin grew up. However, new season of motherhood has just begun: my son is now my talented, capable, funny, and well-rounded college graduate ready to make his way in the world. I can hardly wait to see what a difference he makes.  I hope this season lasts a good long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment