Sunday, June 19, 2011

Learning from wilderness encounters


It lives like a pig. It grunts and runs in a herd. It smells like a skunk dipped in balsamic vinagrette.   No, it’s not your teenager. It’s a javelina.

These critters were escaping the Arizona sun while I was at a continuing education conference in May.  They’d hunkered down beneath the walkway between the sleeping rooms and the building where our worship space had been situated.  I was headed toward my room after lunch to grab my notebook and evidently my stomping up the steps roused them from their siesta.  The herd – Mama, Papa, and all of the baby ‘linas – took off toward the brush that lay just west of the dormitory, stinking and grunting as they ran. 

The last time I’d had such a close encounter with wildlife was in 2001 in Yellowstone National Park.  A bison, obviously having no intention of going anywhere, greeted me one morning as I walked from my cabin to the Old Faithful Inn.  I said “excuse me I believe you live here” and took the long way around.  It’s good to be reminded that human beings aren’t the only creatures on this planet that need space to roam or rest.  But, human beings do need to roam and rest.  That was the point of my education week. 

We need space to explore our past and plan for our future.  We need to take time to rest and reflect in order to be refreshed.  It’s too hard to do these things when we get stuck in our routine or are disturbed by every startling interruption.  So, be intentional about carving a little time out to get away no matter who you are or where you are in your life.  You may not see a javelina or a bison, but you might be surprised at what you do see.

No comments:

Post a Comment