Sunday, November 9, 2014

Choose



(c) 2014 C. B. Park, all rights reserved.

The kingdom of God is like…
This is our Grappling with the Gospel theme for November.  The stories Jesus has thus far been telling about the kingdom – or reign – or government – of God have been entertaining and confusing.  Today, the kingdom of God is just a little scary.  Bridesmaids being shut out of the wedding…the groom not recognizing them…doesn’t sound fun to me.

Our Divine and Wine group decided that if this parable had been set in today’s culture, the bridesmaids who were wise would have had their cell phones charged and ready. The foolish ones would have decided to play so many games of Words with Friends or Angry Birds that the batteries were shot when the call came that the bridegroom was near.

Whatever the issue – lamps unlit or cell phones uncharged – it all boils down to one word:  Decide.  Or, another word to use might be COMMIT.

Now, I didn’t get this particular fortune in the cookie I had this past Wednesday evening, but I did get it a few weeks ago.  I kept it because it spoke to me.  My fortune said “Punctuality is the first sign of commitment.”  If you don’t add on the obligatory “in bed,” I believe that God can speak through fortune cookies. 

At one particularly stressful time of my life, when I couldn’t figure out why God wasn’t helping me, I got a fortune that said “God helps those who get out of his way.”  I remember actually genuflecting next to the table in response.  This punctuality and commitment thing spoke to me with regard to today’s lessons. 

I know that one reason for this is that I’m working with the diocese to plan our annual convention that happens next week.  We are meeting in Chillicothe, which is a lovely town, but doesn’t have the resources readily at hand that I can count on in a larger venue such as Columbus or Cincinnati.  Deadlines come and go and people found that they could not register on line and began to complain.  So, we eased things off a bit and registered them anyway.

Thank heaven the caterers opted for flexibility.  However, if someone shows up a convention who hasn’t registered, they will have to forage for food. And, they will not be allowed to be a part of the banquet.

This may seem a silly thing to most of you, but it’s not to me, the planner who wants her guests to feel welcomed and loved.  It’s not fair to the vendors who are supplying the food and linens, folding chairs and wifi.  It’s not fair to the staff who are forced to wait until the last minute to print name badges and place cards.  Not only is it not fair, but when people don’t make a commitment, they disrespect the people who are counting on them and have put great labor into making the event a reality.

It reminds me of a quote from John Adams. In a letter to his wife, he wrote “Commitment, Abigail, commitment.  There are only two types of people in this world: those who have made a commitment and those who require the commitment of others.”
With regard to the diocesan convention, I must admit that I have a certain amount of power.  I try to use it for good.  I do my best to vet the service providers so that the diocese is paying the least amount that they have to in order to be a good steward of our resources.  However, I also am the person who assigns people to tables and chairs.  One reason I do this is because I know things about people.  I know that there are members of certain churches who use wheelchairs and therefore need to be seated where they have access.  I know some people have small bladders for one reason or another. They need to have seats near doors – for obvious reasons. 

But, I also know there are places where people would just as soon not sit.  They usually are in the front, where they bishop has easy access and eye contact.  If you want to know who might have just made me angry in the past year – look know further than the front row. 

Just kidding. Well, not really.

Well, it was true for one of my colleagues several years ago.  I must admit….I couldn’t take his berating my beloved Chicago Cubs anymore.  He since repented.  This year, he and his congregation return to midst of the crowd. 

My point, though, is that if the people who really do have special needs don’t register in a timely manner – I can’t fulfill my duty to them because their commitment came too late.  For them – well – there’s always next year.

This small amount of “power” over conventional tables and chairs makes me realize that perhaps God can’t provide for me or for you what God wants to provide if we don’t make a commitment to God’s reign.  It’s not that God doesn’t wish to provide, God does. However, God wishes us to make a clear decision.

Joshua’s statement, “As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD,” made it abundantly clear where the Israelites’ commitment needed to be.  His cynicism made it clear that he knew that his people were not making the commitment with the conviction God desired.  

God was well aware that there were other gods about – household gods, ancestral gods – and they distracted the people from worshipping the God of Abraham, Rebecca, Jacob, and Moses. God’s desire for God’s people was being thwarted.

For God’s people to live in and further the reign/government of God, they must be committed to that purpose.  God must be their ultimate concern.  Other gods must be cast aside so as not to distract us from our sacred duty.  These gods insist on their place – who are yours?  We all have them.  Are their names ‘Success’ or ‘Security’ or ‘Familiarity’?  Do you call them ‘Sports’ or ‘Politics’ or ‘Social Media’.  These gods distract us because on the surface, they are not evil.  It is our choosing them over the One who has given, and wishes to give us, blessing upon blessing that keeps us from hearing God’s voice calling us, telling us that the bridegroom has come.  Our decisions, not God’s, keep us from fully participating in the kingdom.

Advent is here.  The time is now.
Decide – Commit – to making God’s kingdom the priority in your life and all subsequence decisions will follow thereon. 
This Advent, we are not waiting for God to arrive. 
God is here.
Rather, God is waiting – for us.
Amen.
 (c) 2014 C. B. Park, all rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment