Sunday, July 27, 2014

An odd kingdom metaphor



(c) 2014 C. B. Park, all rights reserved
Many things came to mind when I read all of Jesus’ metaphoric descriptions of the kingdom of heaven.  First, I thought, ‘again with the seeds’?  Haven’t we had enough of those stories already?  The next three metaphors are a little more interesting.  Yeast – that, like the mustard seed, starts small but grows until it takes over and leavens the entire measure of flour.  A hidden treasure in a field and a pearl of great price, which are known only to the purchaser: the one who is willing to give up everything to own it. A burgeoning net, full of fish, which are separated at harvest time.
Seeds, soil, weeds, yeast, pearls, treasure, judgment.  The kingdom of heaven is like all that. It’s like something else, too.  It’s all so ordinary.  Yes, even the ordinary is someone’s treasure.  Treasure is in the eye of the beholder.  Barbara Brown Taylor, in her sermon on this text, bids us to look deeply into these metaphors. Find the extraordinary in the ordinary.  I love that strategy. Yet, as I kept reading and re-reading, I couldn’t shake another metaphor that kept invading my brain.  It was stubborn. It was crazy.  Yet, there it was.  And, I’m sure that Jesus, having the sense of humor of his heavenly Father, probably would have used it also, if the two-wheeled apparatus had been invented in his time. 

God help me (and I know She will), I think the kingdom of heaven is like World Naked Bicycling Day.

Okay…first – a little history.  I had not heard of this particular observance until last month when I was in England with our little pilgrimage group. Apparently it is an annual event – held all over the world – to bring attention to the vulnerability of those who ride bicycles.  Three of us had spent the day at the museums and decided it would be best to take a cab to Westminster Abbey for Evensong in order to get there on time.  My companions shall remain anonymous unless they decide to identify themselves.  (Of course, some of you already know who they are…)  As we approached Trafalgar Square, I looked out the cab window and caught a glimpse of someone riding a bicycle. He was, as my granny used to say, ‘buck nekkid’.  “There’s a naked guy on a bicycle back there!” I said to my companions. They were a little skeptical.  Well, they were skeptical until the cab began to slow down.

There wasn’t just one ‘nekkid’ guy on a bike.  There were hundreds. HUNDREDS!!! 
The crowd was mostly men, but there were a few women scattered hither and yon.  They had stopped in front of Buckingham Palace in order to sing happy birthday to Queen Elizabeth…in their birthday suits. The cab had ceased to move.

Holy Mother of Pearl.  What does a priest do when she’s wearing her clerical collar, accompanied by parishioners, and surrounded by nude people on wheels?  Well, first she looks at them and says – if either of you take a picture of me with these naked people, I will excommunicate you.  And then, well, she observes.
She observes the cab driver dying of embarrassment.
She contemplates blessing the crowd from the safety of the cab. 
She decides not to.
She observes her traveling companions capturing the moment with complete and utter hilarity, one of them declaring this to be “the most awesome cab ride ever!”
She laughs, she giggles, and she’s awestruck that anyone would subject themselves to a bicycle seat in a condition of undress.
She observes the extraordinary diversity of creation and human—okay, mostly man--kind…with amusement, amazement, shock, disbelief, and finally, ‘Oh Lord, enough already!’.

And so, you all must be wondering, what the heck any of this has to do with the kingdom of heaven? Remember that Barbara Brown Taylor said to look for the extraordinary in the ordinary.

So, let’s go back to all of Jesus’ stories.  Multiplied harvests, great trees from small seeds, pearls and hidden treasures…all of these are exaggerations.  None of it could have been expected.  I assure you, the sight of hundreds of unclad cyclists was very unexpected and quite beyond the norm.  The kingdom of heaven takes us by surprise.
Forty years ago this weekend, eleven brave women, a few brave bishops, and the presence of the Holy Spirit said to the church “Our time has come.”  The seeds planted by Philadelphia Eleven paved the way for women’s ministries in the church to grow to great heights and bear much fruit.  Even our British friends have finally grafted themselves to these branches. Who could ever have expected so much in so little time. Surprise!

A sower who distributes seeds everywhere is to be seen as an extravagant giver. What the seeds become is up to the soil.  Of course, the meaning of this parable needed to be explained.  

It wasn’t completely understood by the disciples.  Just like not knowing the cause behind the bicycle ride kept me from fully appreciating the message that was being sent.  “Be careful. We’re vulnerable. We have as much right to be here as you do.”
Missiles are fired and bombs explode across Israel & Gaza.  Immigration policy is debated. People we consider to be adults try to solve their differences by shouting at each other and committing violence on each other. As we continue in these ridiculous practices, our children look up to us with eyes filled with fear, eyes that are being taught not to trust. The kingdom of heaven is still far off as long as we refuse to acknowledge the vulnerable ones among us who just want to be loved and deserve to inherit more than a life of continued anger and hatred. They have as much right to be here as you and I do.

You know, this nude parade on wheels probably only took about 15 minutes.  But, as I reflect on it now, it’s scary how quickly the novelty wore off and I was ready to get on to the next thing.  I was a bit miffed to arrive at Westminster Abbey so late that we had to sit in the overflow section and not in the quire.  I may have marveled at God’s creation for a moment, but boredom followed closely.  I could say the same thing about kivas in the southwestern United States or one more automobile in the Henry Ford museum.  If I’m honest with myself, I realize that I do the same thing with God’s kingdom sometimes.  Each year rolls through with another stewardship campaign, another Vacation Bible School, another EfM class…another….sermon.  If I’m not careful, I can get trapped in a cab full of cynicism and miss the indescribable show outside the window.

When I get distracted by my own wants and desires I forget to look for the kingdom of God in the ordinary stuff I encounter every day.  The ordinary becomes extraordinary when we search for God in it. It becomes extraordinary as we reflect upon it.  It becomes extraordinary when we invest ourselves and our resources in it.  The ordinary becomes God’s kingdom when we quit trying to control everything and appreciate the gifts God sends our way…even when it derails our perfect plans to serve or worship. I have to remember, also, that the kingdom of God – the shalom of God – is exceedingly fragile.

Having said that, though, if I do have another ‘most awesome cab ride ever,’ I really hope it’s not clothing optional. I realize that in heaven everything will be revealed, but ewwww.

(c) 2014 C. B. Park, all rights reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment