Wednesday, August 14, 2013

What I did this Summer.

School is beginning this week in several central Ohio school districts.  Everyone else starts next week.  Parents are happy, for the most part. Kids are sad, for the most part.  I was one of those kids who was happy.  I loved school.  Summer for me was an awful boring time when Mom and Dad made me play outside when I just wanted to stay in and read my books.

Summer now looks a lot like the rest of the year.  I tend to take time off in the spring and fall in order to avoid peak travel costs.  The parish begins to ramp up for Vacation Bible School just as the program year is ending.  We exhale for a little while in late July and early August.  So, mostly, I worked.

There have been some bright spots.  Some of the programming that was born previous to this summer actually took root and started to grow.  "St. Arbucks," the coffee house ministry I've been attending to for a little over 2 years now, has a core faithful.  We've begun to do a book study along with fellowship time.  Those who gather are getting closer and more trusting of each other.  "Divine + Wine" has gone from a sure 4 people to "at least 6 and sometimes more."  From the outside it may look like people having dinner together. At the table, we check in with each other and support each other in our faith journey.

The Celtic Evening Prayer service has been the most surprising of all.  Based in parishioners homes, those attending offer prayer, study scripture and other spiritual texts, chant a little, and spend time in quiet contemplation.  The group has become quite close and we may expand it out this fall. 

It's been a good summer.  Just think - fall and a new program year are just around the corner.  How exciting is that!


No comments:

Post a Comment