Monday, December 19, 2011

Happiness is a Warm Puppy and Baby Jesus

Okay, she's not a puppy, but she is warm.  Abby is snuggled up next to me on my sofa. I realize that many people frown upon animals who sit where people sit, but I don't think there's anything more soothing than petting a furry head.  Zac - the older one - is sleeping on his bed near the hearth.  His days of sofa are long gone and we both know that if he sees another Christmas it will be a miracle.  Christmas is constant; so is the cycle of life.

It's never easy to celebrate the holidays when you are aware of who isn't there.  This year, we miss our Val - the sheltie who came with Zac, but left us in September.  Other years it's been a grandparent or a parent or a sibling.  Future years will be the same.  Christmas is constant; so is the cycle of life.

The hope that comes with the Word made flesh is constant.  When emotions betray me, I close my eyes and go to the manger.  Jesus cries, just like me.  I pick up this small child and hold him to my heart and we comfort each other. 

When I open my eyes again, Abby looks at me like she understands.  God was present in the manger.  You have to wonder if 'dog' was too.

No comments:

Post a Comment